What if there were a simple, hands-free device with a comfortable, custom-fit mouthpiece that could cut your orthodontic treatment time in half? And all you had to do was place it in your mouth for 20 minutes a day while gentle vibrations called micropulses promoted the accelerated movement of your teeth? Sound too good to be true? With the AcceleDent® and AcceleDent® Aura orthodontic appliances available at our Bayside-area practice, all of this is possible, and much more.
AcceleDent® and AcceleDent® Aura use proprietary SoftPulse Technology® to accelerate tooth movement and the bone remodeling process that is fundamental to orthodontic treatment. SoftPulse Technology® involves the transmission of specially calibrated micropulses via a mouthpiece custom crafted to fit over the patient’s existing orthodontia. This safe, gentle method is clinically proven not only to speed up treatment by as much as 50 percent, but also to reduce the discomfort associated with orthodontics.
How AcceleDent® Works
Part of the beauty of the AcceleDent® system lies in its simplicity:
- Before you use your AcceleDent® for the first time, you will need to charge it overnight. The AcceleDent® Activator will then need to be recharged for about two hours every three days.
- You will use your AcceleDent® for 20 minutes a day every day. It is recommended that you use your AcceleDent® for 20 uninterrupted minutes at a time. If you must take a five-minute break, the AcceleDent® will “pause” and resume your session where you left off. If you take a break of longer than five minutes, you will have to resume your full 20-minute session.
- Your device will notify you when you have reached the 10-minute halfway point of your 20-minute session. At 20 minutes, your AcceleDent® will automatically turn off.
- You can easily clean your AcceleDent® mouthpiece by detaching it from the Activator and rinsing it with lukewarm water. On occasion, you may supplement this with a mild soap or toothpaste. The Activator may be wiped gently with a soft cloth.
- During your orthodontic treatment, you can download FastTrac usage reports by plugging your AcceleDent® into the USB port of your computer. The report will show the days on which you used your AcceleDent® and for how long. This is a great way of making sure that you stay on track.
- At the end of 18 months’ worth of 20-minute sessions, your AcceleDent® will automatically deactivate. There is no evidence that using your AcceleDent® for more than 20 minutes a day or for longer than the prescribed usage period will yield any additional benefits.
It is important to note that the AcceleDent® is not waterproof and should not be used in the shower or bathtub. Our orthodontists will review your case to make certain that you are a good candidate for AcceleDent® before recommending the product to you. AcceleDent® is intended to augment your orthodontic treatment and is not an orthodontic treatment in and of itself.
Want to Learn More about How You Could Speed Up Your Treatment with AcceleDent®?
If you would like to learn more about how you could cut your orthodontic treatment time in half with AcceleDent® or AcceleDent® Aura, or you wish to find out whether you are a good candidate for these extraordinary orthodontic appliances, please contact our Bayside-area practice today. We proudly serve patients from Whitestone, Flushing, College Point, and the greater Queens area.